oma is for grandma

reflections, thoughts and stories on and about us: a half-Australian-half-German family attempting to raise bilingual children

Wednesday, January 25

... and Bauchnabel is for belly button!!

everytime I dress, undress my daughter or change my babies nappy I can see right there in the middle of their tummys the reminder that they were once connected to me in that incredible way. That I fed them through a whole in their belly and with God's help was able to pro-create a new person (or two, in this case).

Now they're their own little people and that very physical connection is gone but they are still connected to me (and my husband). They are part German part Australian, part me and part my husband but also themselves. It is just so unbelievable.

But how can they be German when all they know is Australia. I feel an incredible burden to be the one having to teach them everything they know about this German part in them and of course all their German language depends on me as well (I know, dearest M., you'll be complaining right now, cause of course you do your best to help that, but I just can't help feeling that the bug stops with me)!

This is an ongoing thought process for me and my family and I'm quite aware of my short comings in terms of expression, but after all this blog is intended more for my own benefit than anybody else's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home