oma is for grandma

reflections, thoughts and stories on and about us: a half-Australian-half-German family attempting to raise bilingual children

Tuesday, February 7

am I or am I not?

I haven't been writing anything lately and that that was partly due to our family going away, me deciding that a lunch time nap might be the better option (to be energetic enough for my two monkeys in the arvo ... though today I've decided that a cuppa will have to do) and me reading other blogs. Most of those blogs are labeled expat-blogs and I started wondering whether I fit the description.

Am I or am I not?? Do I qualify as an "expat"?

According to dictionary.com an expat is:
1. One who has taken up residence in a foreign country.
2. One who has renounced one's native land.


I certainly haven't renounced Germany and Australia was a foreign country to me, but after living here for 4 1/2 years married to an Australian I can't help but feel that it really shouldn't be a foreign country any more.
Maybe that's partly connected to the attitude that any immigrant should assimilate and become Australian (whatever that means).
Gotta share a little story here:

I was sitting with a bunch of people I know when they started talking about "those immigrants" that just keep their own culture and don't assimilate. So I wanted to stir them up a bit and said "You mean people like me!" cause really I try to maintain a German culture in our home (not just for the kids' sake).
One of them answered "No, you're not like that, you're practically Australian." (or something to that effect, I do have to admit the conversation happened about a year ago.)
I said "No, I'm not!"
"Have you eaten a meat pie?"
"Yes, I've even cooked one once."
"There you go, you're practically Australian!"
Hmmm ... is that what it takes to be Australian? I might as well be Thai, since I cook Thai food at least once a week. But since national identity is a topic way to complex for what I was wanting to write about here I won't go any further with this.

So to get back to my original thought, Australia is not really a foreign country any more. I am quite accustomed to it (maybe Germany has even become a foreign country to me ... since I do think I'll find a lot of things qute weird over there after living here). But does that mean I am not an expat, could I possibly become an expat in Germany were we to go and live there??
I certainly don't think of myself as Australian. If someone asks I always say without hesitation, that I am German. But what is expatriation linked to, the nationality you've got or where you feel home is or isn't (which could easily bring me to my next topic, where is home, do I have two homes, one home or none ... two half homes might be most accurate but how is that possible??).

So maybe that's just what it comes down to if I look at the whole thing from the perspective of our family as a whole, it's not an issue since the BFG is an Australian (in his passport, by birth, place of residence, his parents and grandparents were born in here, the country that is home for him and probably the culture and customs he feels most at ease with are also Australian). Our family is most definitely not an expatriate family (neither here or in Germany).

But I as an individual have been an expat here and for the sake of our family, my relationship with Michael and my own sanity, have taken on this place as home.

So am I or am I not? I think I have been, and am not anymore!!

But I think I'll still read the expat blogs and identify with them to some degree, I guess I'll never again be either one or the other. I'm a bit of both, we are very much both and so the expat perspective is probably the closest for someone like me.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Michelle S. here, Fran. Please excuse my "Anonymous" post- I have forgotten what my blog ID is!!
I can identify with what you are saying here. While I was living in PNG during my high school years, I was definately classified as an expat- yet, although I did not assismilate into the real Indiginous culture, I became part of the missionary culture where I was living, and learned a lot about the Indiginous culture, too. (which now, from my older and changed perspective on society and social justice seems much more civilised than my birth homes' culture- another discussion altogether!!)It was not long at all before I was calling PNG home. When we returned to Australia for 8 months during my year 11 year, I felt like a fish out of water a lot of the time, and spent the whole 8 months looking forward to going "home"! I just did not feel safe where I was supposed to be calling home!! When I returned for good to Australia it took over a year before I really started thinking of Australia as home again- after I had some established friendships and a good support network around me. My point is this- technical definitions should be put aside in this instance (since you probably are still technically an expat here, as I was in PNG). Home is where you feel safe! So, if you feel safe in two countries, I think you have two homes! I think home can change, too. If you suddenly feel unsafe for whatever reason, you may have no home for a while. Then it is possible to move somewhere new and feel safe there very quickly, thus having a new home! (this is my perspective having moved house very frequently- but it doesn't apply to, or even come close to being relevant to, moving countries or cultures!)
Anyway, enough from me....
I'm enjoying reading your site! ;-)

4:57 pm  
Blogger christina said...

Hi Fran,

Well, I can say that 1) applies to me but 2) certainly does not. There's no way I would ever renounce my home country.

I have also completely integrated into German society, but I'll never be German and don't want to be. Why would I?

'Expat' for me is just a convenient label someone made up to give people common ground. I don't think you need to read so much meaning into it. When I put a link in my blogroll under 'expat', it's simply telling others that this is a person who has moved from one country to another, someone other 'expats' may have something in common with. It's not a judgement on how the person feels about it, how much they have integrated themselves, how they feel about their home country. All pretty irrelevant for me, really and not an issue in the grand scheme of things.

5:59 pm  
Blogger Franzie said...

Thanks for the comments,
I do have to say I like looking at it in terms of where home is and where I feel comfortable.
The funny thing is that the Mountains and our house are definitely home for me but in an ideal world I'd always like to pluck them out of Australia and plant them somewhere in Germany (I guess on the small scale here is home but on a larger scale I think, I'll always think of Germany as home ... though having been warned of reverse culture shock (and your experience, Michelle, seems to certainly proove that) I'm not too sure that I'll still feel the same were we to go to Germany).
Do you think, Michelle, that children have an easier time accepting a foreign place as home, because they don't think with labels and inside of boxes like adults and are most definitely more adaptable too?
You sayed that 'technically I'm still an expat here', that's the very thing I'm still unsure off! What makes me technically an expat here?
I tend to think being married to Michael makes me definitely more a local than an expat (I guess when I think of expats I think of people who know that there stay is only temporary and that they'll definitely go back to wherever the came from, probably 'home').
I agree that the label 'expat' only means that there is that one thing (having moved countries) that people share, but I was also wondering whether it means more than that for some people. Would you label yourself 'expat', Christina?
I've been looking at expat blogs, cause I know that I share a lot with other people who could be classed as 'expats'.
What about 'immigrant'? Why don't we call ourselves immigrants? How are expats and immigrants different and why do we prefer one label to the other?
When you integrate fully into the new culture but still think of yourself as a Kanadian, an American, a German or whatever, where is home then? That's probably a question for you, Christina ;-)
on a totally different note: I do think, you can comment, without a blogger ID, just under 'other' you should be able to just comment with your name (should you choose to), Michelle. Only for next time :-) I didn't really think that anybody would be reading my blog, except maybe for Michael, who want's to keep me blogging and so feels the need to encourage me, he he he.
I love the dicussion, so please keep bouncing your ideas and thoughts.

1:05 pm  
Blogger Haddock said...

Hi Fran, I am easy with the expat label. I've lived a lot of my life outside of the UK, and to be honest I am not too worried about my nationality. If someone said I would lose my British passport tomorrow, it pould not bother me too much. I would still support England in in football & cricket though. :)

I wouldn't say I have assimilated totally into German culture, as I do retain a certain ammount of Englishness :) But I do consider Germany nowadys as my home.

Thanks for stopping by my site.

10:19 pm  
Blogger Franzie said...

Thanks for the comment Mr. Haddock,
I find it very interesting to hear how other people deal with and see their bi- or mulitcultural identity.

I think nationality for me doesn't really come down to what's written in my passport but just what I identify with the most, maybe it should better be labeled 'home'. And after living in different places it's probably never again gonna be just the one. We tend to pick the raisins out of all the different cultures we've been exposed to over the years.

8:57 pm  
Blogger Alice in Germany said...

Hi Frankie,

A German friend ('Marianne') of mine had an almost identical experience in Australia to yours - the conversation about immigrants and assimiliation.

They said they weren't talking about people 'like her' - presumably because she is white. But I like to think that anyone who lives in Australia and wants to be Australian (or German-Australian, Thai-Australian etc) is accepted as such.

I am interested in your experiences with the locals accepting you as an 'Australian'.

As for children finding it easier to move to different countries because they are not so aware of labels, I am not so sure.

'Bruno' is German-Russian. He has always been a German national but was born in Russia and had Russian citizenship. He migrated back to Germany with his family when he was 10 years old. I say 'back to Germany' even though he never lived there because after his ancestors migrated to Russia they lived in German villiages and spoke/thought of themselves as German. However you are probably familier with Russian Germans.
Like a lot of migrants he had a tough time.
To Russains they were always German and when they moved to Germany they suddenly became Russians.
For some reason I thought that being a migrant in Australia might be easier, because nationality is not so based on ethnic lines.
Anyway am interested in your thoughts.

1:14 am  
Blogger Franzie said...

thanks for the comment, Alice.
Yes I think as a Russian (or Russian-labeled) migrant he would have had a tough time in Germany. I don't think Germans are terribly accomodating towards their immigrants.
In regards to being one nationality in the one country and then the other in the other country, I've always felt that that's mainly due to us focussing on what distinguishes us from the people around us. I've found that somehow people (that includes me) tend to focus on the differences rather than the similarities and I guess it then happens that you find yourself in Germany feeling very Russian (or being made to feel very Russian) and in Russia you realise how German you actually are.
I seem to change who and what I identify with as well. Often I'll say "well in Germany we do this or that" and then again "those Germans do this or that" and I've even been heard to say "in Australia we do this or that". Wonder what that says about my integration into Australian society.
About your question regarding my experience I thought I might write a whole new post as it is quite a story and I'd be keen to get some discussion going about that whole assimilation thing too.

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home